I have had the help of my sister Brittanie (Instagram: @brittsskye) for this one both in cooking and blogging. We made a marinade for the chicken and vegetables that is definitely going to be written down and used again because it was SO GOOD and so we thought it was only right to share it.
Ingredients for the egg fried rice:
- 1 egg, beaten
- tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
- 1 cup white rice
- half a white onion
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
Ingredients for the glazed chicken and stir fried veggies:
- 2 chicken breasts on the bone
- 2 peppers, sliced
- half a white onion, chopped into thick chunks
- 5 broccoli florets, sliced
- 1 pak choi
- (any other veg you want to throw in)
Ingredients for the marinade/sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
Method for Chicken and Veggies (written by Brits):
1. first of all you pre-heat the oven to 180°. next you need to prepare the marinade for the chicken- for this you mix the cloves of garlic, soy sauce, honey, white wine vinegar, ground ginger and sunflower oil. The next step is slightly gross as you have to massage half the marinade into the chicken but its the only way to get the best results with a delicious flavour so you will just have to embrace the grossness. Now all you have to do is place it in the oven for 35-40 minutes to let the chicken soak up the juices and to nicely roast the meat.
2. Now its time to prepare the vegetables. one you have cut up the veg that meets your fancy, put them in the wok with a generous serving of vegetable oil and begin to stir fry (it was only today i realised that this is why its called a stir fry). This process will take about 10 minutes until the vegetables are slightly browned and then pour in the remaining marinade and stir through cover the veg.
Method for egg fried rice:
1. Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Once cooked, set aside and allow to cool. Defrost the peas by placing them in a sieve and running under warm water.
2. Once the rice has cooled, and the chicken and veggies are almost ready to go, heat the oil in a wok, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add the rice and cook until warmed through.
3. Now it’s time to add the peas and soy sauce. Cook for a further 2 minutes and then move all of the rice to one side of the pan. Add the egg to the pan and begin to stir as if you are making scrambled egg. Once the egg has cooked stir in the rice and taste – if it needs more soy sauce add it now.
4. Get everything onto a big table and let people tuck in!